Since MLP Colorado opened its doors at Salud Family Health Center in March, 2015:
With research efforts led by epidemiologist Dr. Angela Sauaia, MLP CO strives to be on the forefront of data-driven research when it comes to medical legal partnerships. MLP CO's research efforts are led by Dr. Angela Sauaia. Each new patient-client completes a self-reported health evaluation. The patient-client then completes the same health evaluation upon completion of their case. The goal is to measure the impact of legal intervention on health outcomes and healthcare utilization. The data shows that by addressing social determinants of health, MLP Colorado is making a positive impact on the health outcomes of the patient-clients.
• 76% of patient-clients reported that they visited the ER less often after legal intervention
• 71% of patients reported less visits to the hospital after legal intervention
• 76% of patients reported that they missed fewer medical appointments after legal intervention
• 47% of patients reported that they missed work less often after legal intervention
• 71% of patient-clients reported that their physical health was better compared to their first meeting with the lawyer
• 76% of patient-clients reported that their mental health was better compared to their first meeting with the lawyer
As more cases are completed, MLP CO's data will become more robust and offer more insight into the impact medical legal partnerships can have on health outcomes.